Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the operating hours?
Visit Hours and Closings
2. What do I need to start up a membership?
You will need a voided check, valid photo ID, and you will have to pay your 1st month and joining fee upfront. You will get to choose the 1st or the 15th for your draft date. The name on the valid photo ID will have to match the name on the account that is responsible for the fees.
3. How old do I have to be to sign up for a membership?
You will have to be 18 years of age or older. If you are under the age of 18, an adult will have to be present.
4. How old do you have to be to come to the facility without an adult?
You will have to be 15 years old to come into the facility without an adult. You must also have a valid photo id.
5. What will qualify us for a Household Membership?
It consists of two adults and up to six children of which can not be over the age of 21 years. The children have to reside in the home. The adults on the membership will have to provide a valid state ID of which shows you live at the same address. A utility bill, lease, or marriage license is also valid.
6. Once I join one of the branches, can I use the other Y's in Columbus?
Yes. If you join at the John P. Thayer or DA Turner YMCA. If you join at the AJ McClung YMCA, you will have restricted use.
7. How often can a guest visit the YMCA?
A guest is allowed to visit the YMCA two times per calendar year.(Association Wide) They are only allowed to visit Monday - Friday. Guests are not allowed to visit on Saturdays or Sundays.
8. Are there any programs to assist with membership cost?
There are two programs; Apple Scholarship - this is a need and income based program. You may pick up an application at the front desk of the John P. Thayer or DA Turner YMCAs. It is important to bring the application and all required documents back to the YMCA. Process time varies according to the information provided. SilverSneakers - This is an insurance program. Please contact your insurance provider to see if your insurance participates.
9. How does your cancellation policy work?
You have two options. First, you can MAIL in a 30 day written notice or stop by the front desk and fill out a cancellation form. You must provide your membership cards to process your cancellation. Memberships are not canceled until the member cancels the membership.
Mailed cancellation notices MUST be sent to the following address: P.O. Box 1640 Columbus, GA 31902
10. Does the YMCA offer daily passes?
Yes, we offer daily passes for $10/day.
11. How old do you have to be to workout on the equipment?
You will have to be at least 13 years old to work out on the equipment. However, an adult will have to be present with you, and you will have to be within arms length from the adult until you are 15 years old.
12. How can I get a Group Fitness Schedule/Pool Schedule?
Visit Class Schedules or Pool Schedule, or you can come by the John P. Thayer YMCA or DA Turner YMCA to pick up a class schedule or a pool schedule. Times, classes, and aquatic programs vary per facility. Class schedules and pool schedules can change without notice.
13. How often do you change the Group Fitness Schedule?
The class schedules are changed quarterly. New schedules start in January, April, July, and October.
14. Do you have to be a member to participate in YMCA programs?
No, you will be required to pay the non-member rate for the program that you are interested in participating. Please check with each location for programs offered and pricing.
15. How often are the Swim Lessons offered?
Swim Lessons are offered all year round.
16. Do you have chlorine or salt water pools?
We have chlorine. We have local and state regulations that we are required to follow.
17. What is the temperature of the pool?
The pool is kept between 82 to 83 degrees at all locations.
18. What is the temperature of the spa?
John P. Thayer YMCA - 102 degrees.
19. How big is the pool?
John P. Thayer YMCA - 4 lanes, 25 yards
DA Turner YMCA - 8 lanes, 25 yards.
20. What age do you have to be to attend child watch?
6 weeks to 12 years (John P. Thayer and DA Turner YMCAs)
21. Do you change diapers in child watch?
No. The staff will come get the parent/guardian to change any diapers.
22. What is the ratio in child watch?
1 adult to 13 children
23. How many children can be in child watch?
Maximum is 30. (John P. Thayer and DA Turner YMCAs)
24. Are my children allowed to have snacks in child watch?
Yes. Peanut butter or any items cooked in peanut oil are NOT allowed. All drinks must have lids on them.
25. Can my child bring toys to child watch?
Yes. The YMCA is not responsible for lost items.
26. What if my child needs to use the restroom?
They will be assisted to the restroom that is located in the child watch area, but they must be self-sufficient.
27. If my child is sick, can they come to child watch?
No. Any child with any communicable illness will not be allowed in child watch. If your child becomes ill in child watch, the parent or guardian will be notified immediately to pick up the child.